Grand Rapids Popcorn Company was founded by Roy and Rose Darling on Garfield Street on the west side of Grand Rapids in 1944. A true “Mom and Pop” operation, the pair sold corn kernels and popping supplies out of their home. Over 40 years, the business grew and Roy and Rose built a loyal following around Grand Rapids.
In 1984, Darling’s nephews Tom and Charles Burns took over and the business rapidly expanded. In addition to concession supplies, the Burns brothers started popping fresh popcorn. Quickly outgrowing their west side locale, the company broke ground on the current GRPC location in 1991. Originally intended only as a wholesale business, the fresh popcorn was a hit. Folks kept stopping by asking for freshly popped corn - our retail store opened to meet the demand.
Today, Grand Rapids Popcorn sells handmade popcorn, gifts and supplies all over Michigan and beyond. We created a new website to get our great products in the hands (and mouths) of more customers, more quickly.
We continue to pop our popcorn fresh daily. We remain family owned and operated, with the third generation now working full time at the business. We pride ourselves on great popcorn, outstanding service and a personal connection to our customers. Drop by the shop to sample some treats for yourself and meet the Popcorn family.